These past couple of months have been a real challenge for me. I'm definetly dealing with a lot of behavior issues within my class and still trying to adjust working in a new and challeging environment. However, I have experienced some highs this month. The first is slowly being able to build connections with my kids. I have been having small group and one on one quick convos with some of students to get to know them a little better. I find that when I really have the opportunity to get to know my students their behavior improves and when they do act out in class I can deal with their negative behavior a little easier. Secondly, I had a really good conversation with one of my students' parents. It was a good opportunity to hear her talk about the things she wants for her son and allowing her to express her frustrations. After the meeting I really felt more committed to supporting him in everyway possible.
I want to continue with the trend of building connections in my class but I also want my classroom learning environment to improve. I feel as though behavior problems have gotten in the way of students learning in class. On the upside, I'm really anxious to implement our TICC/Action Research Plan b/c I believe it's really going to be helpful and address the needs of our classroom culture. I feel as though if our class can get to a point where students learn to respect each other and control their behavior, we can have some dynamic experiences in the classroom.
On a personal note, I'm also trying to focus on making sure I take care of myself so I can be the best for my students. Not only do I deserve to be happy, restful, and confident, but my students deserve a teacher who is giving her best. I know I'm not at my best when I'm highly stressed and overwhelemd (which is what I've been feeling a lot of lately). So one of my focusses moving forward through the year is to take care of myself and make sure I have a work/ personal life balance to be the best I can be for me and my students :)
Hey Ashley,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for opening your heart to us. I cannot imagine eveything you must be dealing with. It must be very frustrating to be in an environment in which you manage high levels of stress and lots of behavior problems.
You are a wonderful human being, and I can truly say that I have met just a few people with such a good, pure and patient heart. I am glad to hear that you are using your personality, to have better access to your students. I truly believe that that is the best way to go, when we find something true to ourselves and apply it to our environment to deal with our daily challenges.
Keep being yourself, and forming relationships with your students, they will learn from the love and patience that emit, just remind yourself that it takes time, and that it could be possible that they are not used to somebody that values them a much as you do. On my reflections, I was talking about how building a safe environment holds both teachers and students more accountable for their words and their actions.
Good luck with your TICC project!!
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI completely relate to what you are experiencing this month. We've talked about some definite similarities between our schools and one of those is definitely the severity of the behavior issues we see on a day to day basis. It can feel so lonely when what you are experiencing at work is so unlike anything that your friends and family can imagine. I can remember going home and wanting to vent but being reluctant, for fear that people really couldn't understand the kind of day I'd had unless they'd been there to see for themselves. One of the things that has really helped me is having a person who I can vent to at work (or in the same profession) who will not judge me or offer advice, but just listen. I want you to know that that person can be me :). Shoot me a text about the things you're experiencing and we can laugh to keep from crying together! :)
Also, I love reading that you are developing those relationships with your students! It can feel like a slow process, and sometimes you wonder if it's doing any good in the grand scheme of things but I really believe that developing those relationships little by little pays off. I'm especially impressed that you've been able to do this considering the number of students you teach each day! Good for you!