Saturday, March 29, 2014

Hello Spring!

The month of March has been a fast paced month that has flown by much quicker than expected. I've always heard that October and March are the two longest months for teachers because there are no breaks and they are usually tough transition months. October is where both kids and teachers have settled in and the "newness" of school has worn off and March is that last full month of prep before CRCT testing that is  filled with a lot of pressure. Despite the pressure, I'm really proud that I have pushed through this month.

As far as my highlights, I've really enjoyed the new teaching model that  my colleague and I have adopted through co-teaching. It has been a great experience to be able to observe a veteran teacher and co-teach with her. We've had the opportunity to both lead lessons and support one another during our instruction. With our  new model, we have been able to maximize our learning time and spend much more time teaching in small groups. I've seen this positively impact my students academically and have seen growth through the impacts of student learning this month. This year I feel I have really gained much more support through my community of teachers than I did last year. I have found myself reaching out more for support when I need it, socializing more with my co-workers, and learning from my colleagues.  It's been a rewarding experience to be able to collaborate or sometimes just vent with those who know exactly how I feel and recognize the challenges I face. For that I'm thankful for the time I've had to connect with my community of fellow teachers.

I have to admit that the pressure of CRCT is getting to me a little. I felt fine about it until our most recent data presentations at school when our principal asked the whole third grade team if we felt that we were projected to do a lot better on the CRCT then the previous year. He was really impressed by our presentation and with the effort that we have been putting in with the kids therefore, the expectation is high. I worry that because of the behavior problems third grade has faced this year (my class in particular),  that we have wasted much instructional time. Although things are getting better I wonder is it too little to late? But I'm trying to put those thoughts out of my mind and push through these last few weeks. I pray that these next few weeks my students and I can really use the time we have left and really do some intensive learning. I want them to succeed so much and excel not only on the test but in life like I know they can. I hope and pray we can do this! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a great reflection, Ashley! I could not agree more that collaborating with co-workers makes this job so much better and easier. I also have been blessed with some great relationships with the teachers who teach around me. I am glad that they are supporting you -- I know that it's especially important when you are new to a grade level. Also, I had no idea that you have a co-teacher! That sounds so neat. I often reflect on how powerful it could be to have 2 adults in the classroom at one time so that I could have more meaningful time with small groups. I'm very happy that you have had this positive co-teaching experience.

    I can empathize with you about the CRCT. I honestly dread this time of the year. I am struggling with all of the pressure that my administration and I am putting on myself for my students to perform well on the CRCT. I don't want to obsess about it, because i know that is no good for anyone. It's so hard not to think about it all of the time, though, since that is all we are talking/thinking about in school. This is the time when we start to doubt ourselves the most. I am determined to not let that doubt get me down. We have done the best that we could have possibly done and even if we have regrets about how we handled something in the past, there is nothing we can do about it now! We have to save all our strength for our students so that we can help sustain them during this difficult time. Keep on fighting the good fight, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you with pushing through March and continuing to work to make improvements for your students and in your classroom. That really says something about the teacher that you are and the teacher that you are becoming. It takes a lot to be resilient and make changes when things are tough.

    It's so refreshing to hear that you are working well with your school team also. That makes such a huge difference in the way that your days go. Their constant support and willingness to work alongside you and your students is amazing. I really don't think I would have made it through last year without the support of the other fifth grade teachers.

    And, GIRL, the CRCT! I could not agree with you more. We have to fight the doubt and the anxiety both for ourselves and for our students. We are not defined by a test. We are defined by the way that we work and care for others in our classroom space. You're doing great things with those kiddos. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,

    What a rewarding experience to have a co-teacher who you can learn from, collaborate with, and share best practices. I share with you the same feeling of being able to lean on coworkers and build relationships. Your sun is shining and I know that last year and even the beginning of this year was very trying so I it has been so inspiring to watch you prosper. Your celebrations this month will outweigh the intense pressure that comes along with the CRCT. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete