I remember last year when I
realized that I would be transitioning from Pre-K to an elementary classroom
one of my biggest worries was being faced with the Common Core Standards. Prior
to changing grade levels, I often heard colleagues at my school express their
un-satisfaction with the standards. Many of them felt that the standards were
too unrealistic and rigorous for students to achieve. Others felt they were too tedious to achieve
all by the end of the year. Needless to say when I realized I would be leaving
the world of the pre-k standards that allowed kids the freedom to learn through
play learning and learn social and emotional skills, I was not thrilled. My
vision was that I would begin teaching students in a way that emphasized the
mastery of standards rather than learning for the sake of learning.
Now that I have had almost a year
of experience with the common core, my main challenge that I have faced this
year has been teaching the standards as I learn them. I’ve felt that I have not had the opportunity
to spend time reading all of the social studies and math standards, understand what they mean, figure
out how teach them and what it would look like in my classroom for students to
master these standards. It wasn’t until reading
the first five chapters of Pathways to
the Common Core, that I felt that I had begun to understand the common core
standards.
I enjoyed the authors’ initial discussion in the book about viewpoint. Before discussing the standards, the authors
recognize that it important to address our attitude about the standards first. “If we are going to play a role in shaping the
future, then we need to take the Queen Mother’s advice to heart. We need to see
hope and opportunity” (p. 8). Paralleling our attitude towards the common core
with the story of Queen Mother and Cory Booker helped shaped my attitude about
the standards before continuing to read the book. Before finishing chapter one ,
I had more of an optimistic attitude that I could find the positive in the
common core standards and use it as an opportunity to push my students to be
successful.
Throughout the first five
chapters, the authors unpack the reading standards of the common core which
really helped me to understand exactly what my students are expected to know, demonstrate,
and the reasons why these standards
exist. The book also provides examples of how to teach these standards. A few excerpts from the book confirmed what
we have already discussed in our courses and have learned from each other. For
example, the authors place emphasis on book clubs, text sets, and incorporating
books based on student interest. “You might watch videos of students engaged in
high-level partnership or book club conversations…” (p. 29). “Certainly, when
teachers select texts to read aloud to the whole class, it is usual to think of
those selections as creating a text set that readers can later thing across…” (p.
64). “Readers should have the opportunities to choose from a wide range of high
interest texts” (p. 70). Some areas that I realize that I need to implement
more of in my classroom is the increase of cross-curricular, analytical nonfiction
reading. The authors suggest that in order to analyze nonfiction text we must
move away from reading for information and move towards comparing authors
perspectives and point of views. I love the example that is given about how
fifth graders would understand the American Revolution. “Fifth graders in a
CCSS-aligned classroom will read speeches made by Patriots, look at propaganda
on the part of Loyalists and Patriots, weigh the reasons people took sides in
the war, and imagine themselves in the shoes of people who hold different views
on this topic” (p. 20). As a social studies teacher this really helps me to
learn how I can tie in reading standards to social studies by teaching them analyze
and compare text. I also appreciated the tips that were provided on how to put
more high interest and right nonfiction books into kids hands (pgs. 91-92). One
area of the book that I’m still questioning is the commentary on leveling
books. “If someone has told you that the Common Core requires that you level
books by this or that system, the truth is that the standards recognize the
limitations of all existing leveling systems…” (p. 35). I’m wondering what are
the limitations of leveling? Most of what I’ve heard about leveling is that it
is a positive way to help students continue to practice reading on their level
and progress them to the next level. I’m interesting in learning more about the
research about the limitations of leveling books.
Overall, I’m really excited about
Pathways. This is a book that I can foresee will be a helpful reference for me
to use throughout my teaching career. It not only helps to explain the
standards but teaches me how to teach them in a meaningful and personal way for
my students. I’m looking forward to reading more!
Ashley! You have done an awesome job of thinking critically about the readings and the rationale behind the standards. You pulled a quote about the limitations of leveling text that made me reflect on its purpose. I think that there are tons of Pros of leveling text for students, some of which you mentioned in your post. It is so important for students to have the text leveled at this more.
ReplyDeleteI can also see how positively you are looking forward to understanding the implementation of Common Core. I think that's the first step of approaching the standards is going in with a positive mindset. Just like the readings suggest, growth takes time and so does effective instruction through Common Core standards.
ReplyDeleteAshley,
ReplyDeleteIts amazing how others' attitudes towards something can really make or break your stance and perceptive on things. I definitely agree that learning the standards and trying to understand what they truly mean and what they actually want the students to learn takes time and is a major challenge of teaching. I remember trying to integrate (well let's be honest I am still trying to do this) the different standards and still trying to ensure that my students are learning, experimenting, exploring, understanding and meeting this high stake standard all at the same time.
One thing I really took away from the first five chapters is this idea that although I am a STEM teacher I still need to really be focusing on incorporating and integrating the reading standards. The book gave a great example on pg 20 about how we can really integrate the reading and social studies standards, I am hopeful that I will be able to start having a greater understanding and implementation of these in my classroom as well.
From what I have seen and heard you talk about, I know you are doing a great job transitioning from Pre-K to third grade. I can appreciate you being nervous about doing so but you should be really proud of everything you have done for your students!