Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pathways...chapters 6-11

While reading the remainder of the book, there were different topics that squared my thoughts about the common core, pointed me in new directions, and things that are still circling my mind…
Squared my thinking:
My feelings about the importance of writing workshop were confirmed in chapter seven when I read about how essential it is to give students the opportunity to write often .  In the book it states “Having crystal clear goals will not make a whit of difference if students don’t have protected time in school to work on achieving those goals and if teachers don’t have time to convey feedback and coach their writers in the act of writing” (125). This quote highlights the importance of writer’s workshop and how important it is to give students the space to write and provide them with feedback and the opportunity to revise. I love the analogy the author gives about comparing this process to observing music teachers and chorus directors and how they give their students attentive feedback and the opportunity for students to try again. Having implemented some writer’s workshop strategies this year has given my students the opportunity to develop their writing skills.
I love the strategies that are provided in chapter eight when it discusses ways to build up skills in argumentative writing. “The teacher first teaches students to write argument essays around subjects that are especially accessible to the writers. Then, once the writers have mastered the writing type, guide them in applying their skills to more remote subject matter” (138). This squared my thinking because in many of our courses we have talked about the importance of connecting student interest to  reading and writing to develop their  skills. When students have the opportunity to write or read  about what they are interested in, they learn to appreciate and sometimes grow to love reading and writing. It then becomes easier to transfer that skill to a specific subject. This year, my students have the opportunity to read and write about topics that interests them.
 Another topic that the book discusses that I have often though about  is some schools response to the common core. “Our first suggestion to school leaders, then, is to guard against responding to the Common Core with a knee-jerk reaction to add new programs, each of which bears the label of Common Core” (183). I often feel that my school adopts so many programs that are said to help students master the common core standards,  that it becomes an overwhelming task to implement all of these programs. I don’t disregard these programs as unimportant, but I feel that a school should only adopt one or two programs and utilize them for a period of time to allow students and teachers to learn and develop in using the program for them to be really effective.
Pointed in new direction
I was really inspired by the examples of students’ capability of producing details, building tension and creating other emotions through their writing. The examples in chapters seven (p. 114, Glowing Shoes writing sample and the kindergarten writing sample in chapter six (p.108)), shows that our students are able to produce high levels of writing. Even at the kindergarten level, students can develop fluent ideas and details through words and pictures.
The ability to teach the art of conveying detail and emotion is something that I want to do a better job of for the remainder of the year and next year. I know that providing mentor text is a great way to help students develop these skills.
Still thinking about it…
In chapter eight, the book discusses the standards of argument and opinion writing. Common core writing emphasizes the ability for students to convey their opinion, refute counterarguments, and analyzing sources. This is an area where some of my students struggle. I think this standard of writing connects strongly to the environment of our schools. I believe there might be a strong disconnect for students if they are in a school environment that requires them to be silenced for the majority of the day and are policed when to speak and to have opinions, but then are asked to state opinions and convey arguments in their classrooms. I find that students have a hard time developing and justifying their arguments and opinions in the writing, b/c the majority of the time they are in school their opinions are not valued. I have to say that I’m guilty of aiding in that environment b/c there is strong pressure to have discipline over our class. However, I’m thinking of how I can balance that discipline but still allow my students to feel that they still have a voice, in and outside the context of their writing. I think chapter eleven speaks to this very by stating “…any reform effort must be deeply connected to the learning culture of the school, the collaboration of its teachers and school leaders and also assessment” (p. 181). Although this chapter focuses on aligned assessment and its connection to school reform, when I think of learning culture, I also think of the way we interact and treat our students in and outside of the classroom.
In chapter six, the authors discuss the role media plays in the writing standards for the common core. “Fourth graders are expected to produce a minimum of one typed page in a sitting, and fifth graders, a minimum of two typed pages in a sitting.” (p.106). There are many instances in the common core in which students are called to integrate technology. However, with the lack of technology resources in some schools and homes of the students we serve, I wonder how some of these standards can be achieved. At my school for example, we are limited to roughly 40 technology resources (that includes computers, laptops, and ipads) for about 300-400 students, which presents a challenge. I first think the ability to provide technology resources to our schools need to be improved and including technology based classes such as keyboarding, programming, and coding need to be a part of the daily curriculum. I don’t think the responsibility of developing technology skills in students should solely fall on the general education teacher, but someone who specializes in technology should be teaching our students how to develop their skills in technology. It should be a general subject included with: reading, ELA, science, social studies and math.


Reading Pathways to the Common Core has shaped my attitude and approach to the common core standards. Reading this text has helped me to understand the common core better and have more respect for the standards. It has been a great reference for me to help me unpack and better understand the standards. My only wish is that I had read this book sooner. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you mentioned the metaphor that the authors made about coaching and feedback. It reminded me how ridiculous it is to only give summative, evaluative feedback. No wonder our kids struggle with revising in writing -- because they don't get enough practice outside of writing class! I can only name a few students in my class who truly understand how to revise your work. A lot of times our feedback (before the students pass the assignment in) is verbal and then we write on the assignment (with a comment and/or grade) only after they finish it. I think it would be really powerful if we encouraged our students to revise instead of putting so much pressure on finishing something. This is tough in an environment where we are expected to take so many grades for every subject.

    I also had some circulating thoughts and questions about CC's emphasis on technology. I love learning about new digital resources, but I hesitate to get very excited about them when I know that they won't be accessible to many of my students. My school has more technology resources than yours (only 40 resources, that's crazy!), but still we don't have enough resources (or enough time) for students to spend valuable time writing using the media. I don't want to use that as an excuse, though, because I'm sure that I can think of something small that my students can start with. I could also collaborate with the computer lab teacher, so there are some options.

    I agree that I wish we could have read this book sooner (like, before this school started). But I'm so glad that we have all been inspired by this book and we will definitely take it into consideration when teaching next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, your reflection is thoughtful, particularly about your practice and how you are using the lessons learned through the reading as part of your daily instruction. There are so many points your brought up that resonated with my own thinking and understanding of the CC writing standards.

    I like that you brought up the functionality of writing workshop in that it allows students the time and space to revisit their work and revise. Writing workshop also gives space for teachers to give the necessary feedback so students are aware of their learning and the process.

    I understand your concern about the lack of technology resources at your school and I can imagine your frustration with the expectations as you struggle to provide students with the actual technology for practice. I agree with you about keyboarding and computer usage being apart of curriculum but then its like where do we find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,

    I love love love what you were saying about the opinion and argumentative pieces discussed in the Common Core in relation to the climate and environment at your school. I have come up against this again and again through my TICC project and through interactions with my students. The way that so many classrooms are dictated as well as the school cafeteria implicitly teaches students NOT to use their voice or that their opinions don't matter, but then we turn around and expect them to formulate arguments about reading pieces and through writing pieces. So many students do not trust their arguments because their arguments are rarely given any value. This is something that I have thought about and worked through a lot through conversations with my students. It is so important first for students to feel valued so that they then can formulate their opinions comfortably without fear of ridicule or being shut down. Those things are SO hard when the school environment is hostile. Thank you for articulating that so well and bringing back to my thinking on the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    I was also inspired by what Pathways says about ensuring that students have protected time for writing. We do writing after lunch and recess, and it's all we do until dismissal. It's just a really special part of the day and my students have called it their favorite part of the day. I got lucky in being able to schedule writing that way. But it seems wherever we pat ourselves on the back for one thing, there's always another area that we need to improve on as well. For me, it's setting writing goals. While our writing time is consistent and protected, I know we haven't spent enough time this year discussing our goals with our writing. As a result, this writing time that we have is not always spent as intentionally as it could be. You've given me lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,

    You are so bright and you make some excellent point that definitely passed unnoticed through my mind as I was reading these chapters.

    I do remember reading back in Chapter 6, how fourth and fifth graders are not only held to very high expectations of what their narrative writing should look like, but how they were also held to high expectations when it came to using media. One and two pages typed. This is definitely a struggle to those students that do not have access to media. As they constantly emphasize, writing is a process that has to be taught through a constant routine that facilitates practice, and therefore makes you better at it. Well, typing and technology usage, needs to be taught through routine and practice as well, to get better at it.

    To be honest, even though I LOVED this book, because it afforded me with a greater understanding of the standards and the reading, writing and language expectations across levels and disciplines, it is really frustrating that the bar is set so HIGH for ALL students, especially when the students do not share the same resources or instruction.

    High income students have access to better resources and curriculum, how are low income students expected to perform at the same levels, if they are not provided with the same opportunities. As you quoted “any reform effort must be deeply connected to the learning culture of the school, the collaboration of its teachers and school leaders and also assessment” (p. 181)

    I also agree with you, that the types of writing our students are expected to achieve are not aligned with the type of oppressive culture that are subjugated to.

    Finally, YES! WE SHOULD HAVE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE- MAYBE FIRST SEMESTER!

    ReplyDelete