Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pedagogy of the Oppressed: chapters 3 & 4

After reading chapters three and four of Pedagogy of the Oppressed, what stood out for me was the importance of dialogue and empowering our students  by developing their critical thinking. Freire states that “love is at the same time the foundation of dialogue and dialogue itself” (Freire, 1970, p.89). When  my students and I have open dialogue during a lesson or through personal discussion, learning takes place with both students and the educators because both sides are contributing to the conversation.  It is not a transfer of information in which one person holds more knowledge than others, but rather it’s an opportunity in which we are all learning from each other. Freire states  “…this dialogue cannot be reduced to the act of one person’s ‘depositing’ ideas in another, nor can it become a simple exchange of ideas to be ‘consumed’ by the discussants” (Freire, 1970, p.89). When we attentively listen and respect one another’s opinions, we are ultimately showing how much we value and love one another. When we talk together I realize that my students are filled with a lot of prior knowledge and experiences. We draw on these experiences and knowledge in all areas of our learning. Having these experiences helps me to understand  how my students view and see the world.  

Freire also talks about the importance of leadership. As teachers we are called to be leaders in the classroom. Freire states that “leaders do bear the responsibility for coordination and, at times direction—but leaders who deny praxis to the oppressed thereby invalidate their own praxis” (Freire, 1970, 126) . If we do not serve our students by exchanging in meaningful dialogue we deserve our students and ourselves.  The earlier  we can enforce a dialogical practice within in our classrooms and with our students, the more empowered our students will become. Through dialogical learning, students develop their critical thinking skills.  Freire states: “If revolutionary leaders deny [higher level thinking] to the people, they impair their own capacity to think without the people, nor for the people, but only with the people (Freire, 1970, 131)


As educators I realize that we are placed in a unique position to utilize our classroom as an equalizer for our students. We have amazing opportunities everyday to highlight our students’ voices and to empower them.  We can prepare our students not only to liberate themselves but to also become great leaders. 

5 comments:

  1. The importance of leadership fits into your TICC project so well! By building up your classroom culture, you are working to make your students stronger leaders in your classroom. While we are the leader as teachers, the students also have the opportunity to take on leadership roles. I always find that my lessons that are the most successful are those where students are able to take leadership, and therefore, ownership of what they are doing.

    It's amazing to think about the leaders that could be created in our classrooms if we could really internalize the teaching of Freire and give our students that kind of power through both dialogue and leadership roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelsey, that your students are definitely becoming more effective leaders through your project. I know that I don't know all of the details, but when you shared a little bit with us at class a few weeks ago, I was already struck by how your students stepped up to the challenge. I know that this year has been a tough transition, but I think that as you continue to discover yourself as an upper elementary teacher (I know that it is super different from lower elementary), you will become more comfortable and your kids will be too. I truly am excited to hear more about how your project is going and how dialogue has transformed the culture of your classroom.

    I have been thinking a lot about leadership recently, too. I have been thinking about how empowering leadership is, and how we can inspire all of our kids to take leadership in some way (whether it is educational, social, etc.). I am trying to think about how I can empower my students who are not naturally extroverted or self-promoting like some of my students are. I think of you, a quiet but strong leader, and I am inspired to know that there is not a single personality that is required for leadership. Thanks for being a great example of this different type of leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash -
    You make so many great points here. Allowing dialogue in the classroom really does allow for students AND teachers to learn something. The ability to learn and respect one another and love one other is a trait that I think is often times overlooked or taken for granted (in my school at least).

    Being able to learn about and talk about your student's prior experiences without a doubt makes you a better teacher because you are able to relate to what they know and their surroundings everyday through lessons. I also realize as I have been reading several of these posts that we take for granted the idea of dialogue with the leadership at our school. This is often something that is done behind closed doors rather than in the open. Serious food for thought.

    I know its been a tough year for you but keep it up, it really sounds like you are getting more and more comfortable as a third grade teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    We pointed out a lot of the same ideas and points for these chapters. I love when Freire discusses love necessary for dialogue to exist. I truly believe that open dialogue offers a chance to explore the truth behind someone's words and actions and to listen intently and respond is to truly value that person.

    I am so glad that you talked about our role as leaders in the classroom and how we operate and what opportunities we give our students to do the kind of thinking we wish for them to be doing. It is an awesome realization when we sit back and reflect on the amazing thoughts and experiences our students bring to our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,

    You touched on a part of the text that was really meaningful and helpful for me. I love the way Freire details the role of leaders in the classroom. ?I often struggle with this. As a classroom leader that wants to be equitable and wants to avoid depositing and other dehumanizing teaching practices, what is my role? When am I facilitator and when am I more of a guide? I really appreciate Freire saying that leaders are necessary and their roles are, indeed, different and distinct, and that leaders do at times give direction.

    ReplyDelete