Wow! I can’t believe we are at the end of the school year. These
past two years of teaching have been challenging yet rewarding. I’ve learned so
much about my kids, community, and myself. My celebrations over these years of
teaching is that I’ve learned the value of relationship building with my kids
and their families, strengthened my pedagogy and learned to facilitate my
students’ learning.
As I think ahead to my third year of teaching I am really
anticipating the next year (after a nice long summer break of course J .
I think it will be a relief to be able to just focus on teaching, my students
and their families. I will be able to take everything that I’ve learned in this
program and apply it to the remainder of my teaching career. Moving forward my
biggest takeaways from this program is that I want to build a strong sense of
community and represent classroom culture at the beginning of the school year.
I realize that most of the challenges I faced this year were behavior &
classroom management b/c of the lack of community we built at the beginning of
the year. I also want to be more goal oriented
for next year, I realized that my students and I never set real goals for our
class, there was not a discussion about where we wanted to be by the end of the
year. I believe if we had implemented this my students would have been a lot
more motivated to learn. Regardless of the grade I teach next year, I’m
definitely going to implement writer’s workshop J after seeing presentations of the writer’s workshop
in class and reading Pathways, I realize that no matter what age, students can produce
high quality writing work. Lastly, I really just want to make sure my students
and I have fun next year! On the first day of our Critical Pedagogy class, our
professor immediately set the tone that we were going to enjoy this class and
engage with one another, that’s the sort of precedent that I want to set for my
kids and our class next year.
All of the work we have done this year has been rewarding,
but the most personal for me has been our evolving position statement. I think about
how my position statement has changed so much over the past two years and what
I value as a teacher. As I continue with teaching my goal will be to make sure
I’m living up to my beliefs about teaching and learning and I’m always doing
what’s best for my students.
Lastly, I have really enjoyed this program and all of you! It’s
been so rewarding how well we have been able to work together and support each
other over the past couple of years. I think about how we were all slowly
getting to know each other on the first day of class last year, to our first
awkward DRC (lol) to now representing our work and growth and completing this
process together. I look forward to walking across the stage with you all and
celebrating all we have accomplished these last couple of years. I know as we
move on from here to take whatever path we decide after graduation we will
continue to stay in touch and support one another through it all J
LOVE YOU LADIES!!!
Ash this is so beautiful, it almost made me cry!
ReplyDeleteI cannot help but to be grateful for all your patience, all your support, and all the qualities you have brought to our spaces of learning that have inspired me so much.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED your reflection as we close this cycle. You encompass our whole journey so tightly, in a simple way. I love how you have grounded yourself in specific ideas that you want to make sure stay with you for your remaining teaching career.
I am sure as you keep gaining experience you will have a new set of background knowledge and skills that you would like to incorporate in years to come, but make sure you are sharing them with me, because I would love to keep a mutual-learning partnership here.
One of the things that makes me the saddest about our program ending, is that we will have less access to contemporary knowledge about best classroom practices, so we need to make sure we keep that alive.
I can't wait for next week until we celebrate all of our accomplishments together!
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI, too, really appreciate the position statement and how it EVOLVES. I love that even though t=it's always subject to change, it's substantial and meaningful as it is--and will be each time I read over it. I will really miss the reflection, but I know we can do that on our own. I plan to use my position statement regularly to reflect and check to see that what I am doing matches what I believe.
This has been a great experience and I can't wait to hear the updates once we have more time to put into practice what we have learned these past 2 years,