While reading Critical Framework, one of the studies that stood out for me was
the Poverty, Power and Action Study highlighted in Chapter 2. The study focuses on the right to health and
well-being of children. While reading this study I enjoyed how both teachers
focused on providing students access to information that was important for them
to know. The book states that “Article 17 of the United Nation Rights of the
Child states that ‘children have the right to get information that is important
to their health and well being’ “ (Allen & Alexander, 2013, p.22). In
addition to bringing students’ attention to what was important to them, the
teachers also incorporated literacy to show how poverty is perceived through books.
In return the students became very excited about their participation in the
project and the teacher allowed them the freedom to choose which entity they
wanted to take on. Later on their idea
of creating the Plants for Peace Project was born from their interaction of
literacy text.
When I think about the connection between my students’
project and the study from the critical inquiry framework, I think about the
possible strong impact literacy can play a role in their projects. In the case
study of Neher and Smith, literacy played a role in getting students excited
about their projects and coming up with the garden themed project. I believe
the same can happen with my students. I think gathering books about classroom
culture, friendship, respect, etc… can expose students to various ways these
characteristics are expressed throughout text and to get them excited about
implementing the same within their classroom. I believe incorporating the same
approach will guide students in the direction that they want to go for their
projects and create the framework for the small groups to impalement the
project.
Lastly, I reflect on the U.N. rights of a child and I think
the right that aligns most with our class project is Article 12 which states: “Respect for views. Children have the
right to say what they think should happen and have their opinions taken into
account” (p.19). Respect is something that we have discussed a lot about in our
class and it is something that will probably be one of the key focuses of our
project. Introducing students not only to the terminology of respect, but also
exposing them to their right to have it, is a very powerful tool that I believe
will help drive our class project.
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI love that you are talking with your students about the terminology of respect and what that actually means as well as their right TO HAVE IT, not just to GIVE it. Adults so often demand respect of students, but it is so important that we are giving the students the same respect that we want them to give us and others.
I also love the connection of literacy that this project uses. It invites the students to have honest, authentic interaction with text while building connections and critical thinking. It would be really powerful for you to use some of the books given on page 24 with your students to set up the process and go from their with their interests (especially Fly Away Home since we read that in class and it was so powerful!).
Ash,
ReplyDeleteI love how you are looking at how literacy can play a role in your project, to be honest that isn't something I had thought a whole lot about in a planned sense but I am realizing that I definitely need to consider different literacy resources for my students to help them with their project.
I also really like your comments above on the U.N Rights of a child in response to respect. You're right, we talk about respect all the time and try to demonstrate what respect looks like but the idea of having a right to be respected as a child is unfortunately something I don't think many of my students totally understand. This will be a huge, wonderful, powerful tool to use in your classroom.
I am really excited to continue to see how your project unfolds, you are off to a great start and you and your students are passionate which is amazing! Keep it up!
-KM
I, too, was inspired by the literacy that many of the teachers and facilitators incorporated into their projects, and this has challenged me to think of ways that I can do the same. I mentioned in my blog post that I haven't considered the ways in which fiction can help my students think about character traits (like you mentioned) and other values that are central to community projects. I'm glad that you picked up on that, too, and I as well would like to think about how to incorporate more literacy into my project.
ReplyDeleteI think that centering the projects around respect is a great idea. That reminds me of Natasha's project that was centered around love. I think that respect is already such an important value to our students, especially because they often experience a lack of it. I think that our students will be able to connect to this word "respect" and I think that their passion for giving and receiving respect would be a great impetus to your students' planning of their own projects.
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI was also really impressed by the way this project utilized literacy to guide students. One thing I really connected to as I was reading was the struggle to guide students without restricting their ability to plan and execute on their own. Basically, how do we run alongside students? How do we tiptoe the line between guiding and leading, especially when the project is so important and the temptation to take the lead is so strong? I realize that intentionally using books to guide student thinking can be a great way to give input while still allowing students to think and plan on their own.
Also, I like that respect is going to be a huge focus in your project. I find that when I talk about respect with my students there are always conflicting views on what respect is, who should give it and who should get it. I think that taking the time to define with your students what respect means and letting students be a part of creating that definition can be so transformational. I also plan to do this with my students!