So far in my classroom I feel on a daily basis I have a MILLION things to get done! Not only do we have so many things to cover between now and the end of the semester but I'm still trying to squeeze in much of my action research project. Although the project is moving at a snails pace, my students have made some progress to working towards a better classroom environment. They have created their promises for their class constitution board (positive promises they've made to themselves and each other on how they will act and speak to each other in class), and we have also created a citizenship board in the class that praises those moments of positive behavior. I realize that I have to move things along though and we must get in our small groups this week and begin the first stage of our planning. After reading the U.N. Rights of Child, I realize how powerful literature can be to drive the action research process. After reading the Poverty, Power, and Action Study I became really motivated to incorporate literature to motivating my students.
As far as behavior goes, we definitely still have our up and down days. However, I've been really proud of myself for staying consistent with consequences and rewards and remaining steadfast. I realize that even with push back, my students need consistency in their lives at school. I'm also continuing to learn my students more and more each day. I'm starting to love spending time with them and enjoying our conversations together which has developed our relationships and trust.
I'm continuing to push forward and can't wait until SPRING arrives :)
It sounds like you're making some exciting progress, Ashley! I know that it's been a tough transition to third grade and I completely understand when you say that you have a million things to do in one day (I always feel like I have a never-ending to do list that's in my head at all times). I love the ideas that you have already implemented as a part of your Action Research project. I love the idea of a citizenship board! It's so cool, too, that you're incorporating what sounds like a class constitution (Social Studies, what what!). I think that your project will help out your class so much and I can't wait to hear about the results of it.
ReplyDeleteI'm also proud of you and your behavior management. Consistency is one of the toughest things for me, and I'm glad that you finally have it down (maybe you can teach me a few tricks). I'm sure that all of your kids are glad (even if they don't show it) that you're giving them a structure that is predictable and trustworthy. Yay for building relationships! That's what it's all about, baby :)
I still can't believe you are always as calm and positive as you are having had such a huge transition this year. I don't think I could do it. I feel like we're always plagued by constant to do lists and I have to remind myself multiple times a week what Dr. Fisher told us this past summer- what's really important? It helps me think about what needs to get done and when.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to hear you're enjoying your kids more. I have such a hard time on those days I'm just not enjoying being in our classroom. I've been struggling with that these past two weeks.
I still am trying to improve my consistency- with everything! Behavior management, routines, etc. sometimes it just gets all messed up by things out of our control. You're really right, the kids need it even when there is pushback.
See you soon!
You are resilient. It's impressive to both watch and hear about from you.
ReplyDeleteI am with you about trying to find the time to implement your TICC project. I am having the same struggles as my school is taking any moment of free work time with my homeroom to put them in test prep exercises. Let me know when you are finding the time! I've been working hard not to get frustrated with the things that are beyond my control and working hard with my kids when we do have the time.
You are amazing! I agree that it is amazing what some solid time off will allow you to do mentally as we enter into the homestretch of the year. I am really impressed and love the idea of the different boards you are doing - the citizenship board and the constitution board. I think those are both great ideas and awesome ways to tie in social studies content in a way that really speaks to them and makes sense to them.
ReplyDeleteI also admire your ability to stay consistent - I can honestly say that that is by far one of my greatest weaknesses. I would love to talk to you more about what you are doing and how you are ensuring you stay consistent because I agree, consistency is really important for our students.
Keep up the amazing work and we will definitely collaborate more about our TICC projects :)
-KM